Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Filled Coffee Cake

This month at The Cake Slice Bakers (TCS), we have the option to bake from any of our previous featured books before we start with a new book in January. Those previous books are ;

Sky High : Irresistible Triple-Layer Cakes
Southern Cakes
Cake Keeper Cakes
The Cake Book
Vintage Cakes
Great Cakes
The Southern Cake Book
Maida Heatter's Cakes
World Class Cakes


I only have five of these books and out of the five, my most favourite is The Cake Book by Tish Boyle. I have made quite a number of recipes from it with very good results. So for this month's free baking, I've made another one of her fabulous recipes, Filled Coffee Cake, which is really a sweet yeasted bread, with apple-pecan-raisin-cinnamon filling. 

Start by preparing the apple pecan cinnmon filling which needs to be cooled down before using it as a filling for the sweet bread. Chopped apples are sauteed with some melted butter, add some brown sugar, cook till apples are tender, then add some flour, cinnamon, raisins and pecans. Remove from heat and allow to cool.

The dough has the softness of a brioche dough as most sweet breads are, and lovely to work with. Soft, supple and not at all sticky. It was really easy to roll. Slice the rolled filled dough into 2 inch pieces and place in a greased springform pan, allow to rise, brush with some egg wash, then bake as directed in the recipe.

I did reduce some sugar for both the bread and the filling.



The bread bakes up really nice and golden. Allow to cool, then glaze with White Drizzle Glaze. I do not usually eat my sweet breads glazed, as I prefer them without, but for this time, I decided to include the glaze. To make the White Drizzle Glaze, mix icing sugar, vanilla extract and some cream to the desired drizzle consistency.



This sweet bread is pretty good! With moist, soft crumbs, delicious with the apple filling, a slice is just wonderful with a cup of tea. Another keeper recipe from this wonderful book!




8 comments:

  1. Yummy! Great for a holiday afternoon tea party!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds and looks delicious Joyce!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like the world's best coffee cake. Would love a piece of that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Big Yumms! Great with my morning coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is one of my favorite books too. Your cake looks delicious, and I must grab the book again and try this soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Cake Book has delicious recipes! I have a few bookmarked, and now that we’ll have free baking I’ll get the chance to finally test them.
    Lovely cake this month!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like a fabulous book and your cake looks like one I've like to have right about now.

    ReplyDelete