Monday, November 6, 2017

Marinara Sauce

It's Autumn Hues! at I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC). The colours of autumn ; orange, yellow, red and brown. We are cooking with Ina Garten, and I've made her Marinara Sauce. 




This is sooooo easy to make, and taste great!  I've used canned plum tomatoes in puree, and did the chopping in the saucepan itself, breaking up the tomatoes with the wooden spatula, as the tomatoes are soft and breaks up easily. No need to mess the cutting board! And used dried parsley instead of fresh. Go easy on the salt, I use less than half a teaspoon kosher salt, and Ina uses 1-1/2 teaspoons. The canned tomatoes already contain some salt, adjust to taste accordingly.
I love marinara sauce, very handy to keep a jar or two in the freezer. Will definitely make this again.


Marinara Sauce
(source from foodnetwork.com)
1 tablespoon good olive oil
1 cup chopped yellow onion (1 onion)
1-1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
1/2 cup good red wine
1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes, or plum tomatoes in puree, chopped
1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1-1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Heat the olive oil in a large (12-inch) skillet. Add the onion and saute over medium heat until translucent, 5 to 10 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Add the wine and cook on high heat, scraping up all the brown bits in the pan, until almost all the liquid evaporates, about 3 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, parsley, salt, and pepper. Cover, and simmer on the lowest heat for 15 minutes.


I'm linking this post with I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC), theme for this week
Autumn Hues !



5 comments:

  1. I like the ruby red color you developed on the marinara.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marinara is great, my fave! Thanks for sharing! It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I prefer a chunkier sauce as you've made here. I learned the hard way to break up the tomatoes in the pan or use kitchen scissors. At least the juices are contained!

    ReplyDelete