Sunday, July 16, 2017

Hot Punjabi King Prawn Curry

This month's, July Monthly Featured Dish/Ingredient Challenge theme at I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC) is Just For Kicks! : Spicy Dishes. I turned to Madhur Jaffrey's books for her curry recipes. It has been awhile since I last cook from her books. 



This is a fairly easy curry to cook. Recipe calls an overnight marination of  the prawns, but I've marinated them for about 4 to 5 hours. I've used 3 tablespoons of yoghurt instead of 6 tablespoons, as that was what I had left. 

The sauce is first cooked to a fragrant thick sauce, then the marinated prawns are added in, stir and simmer until they are opaque and cooked through. Stir in the remaining garam masala and chopped coriander. 



Delicious prawn curry. Very fragrant from the cumin seeds and tasted so delicious from all the other ingredients. So good with white fluffy rice. This is one dish that I will be cooking again.


Hot Punjabi King Prawn Curry
(Curry Nation by Madhur Jaffrey)
for the marinade :
600gm (1lb 4oz) raw king prawns, peeled and de-veined
6 tablespoons yoghurt
2 hot green chillies, finely sliced
1/2 teaspoon salt

for the curry :
4 tablespoons olive or sunflower oil
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
2 medium onions, finely chopped
1 tablespoon finely chopped or crushed garlic
1 teaspoon turmeric
2-3 hot green chillies, finely sliced
2 teaspoons garam masala
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 medium tomatoes, roughly chopped
1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes
4 teaspoons finely chopped coriander leaves

Rinse and drain the prawns. Pat them dry and put into a non-reactive bowl. Add the yoghurt, chillies and salt. Mix well, cover and marinate overnight in the fridge.
When ready to cook the curry, pour the oil into a karhai, wok or heavy-based pan, about 23 centimetres (9 inches) in diameter, and set it over a medium heat. Spoon in the cumin seeds, swirl and brown for 10 seconds. Add the onions. Saute for about 10 minutes or until brown all over. Add the garlic, reduce the heat to low and stir and fry for two minutes. Mix in the turmeric and stir for one minute.
Now add the green chillies, increase the heat to medium and stir for one minute. Mix in 1-1/2 teaspoons of the garam masala and stir for one minute. Add half the salt, and all of the tomatoes and chilli flakes. Cook for two minutes, then add 120ml (4fl oz) of boiling water. Combine to make a thick sauce.
Simmer for three minutes, then add the remaining salt. Stir in the prawns and their marinade and cook over a medium heat until they are just opaque and cooked through. 
Sprinkle the remaining garam masala over the top and stir.
Fold in the chopped coriander and serve.

I'm linking this post with I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC), theme for this week
Just For Kicks : Spicy Dishes

and 

I'm linking this post with Cookbook Countdown #19 hosted by 


8 comments:

  1. look amazing ! I love prawns !

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my!!! I want to try this!!! yummm. sadly my boys are not very keen when it comes to seafood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A wonderful curry dish! Those prawns are really succulent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, when I think of spicy dishes I automatically think of Madhur Jaffrey! She sure knows how to spice things up. This looks like a dish my family would love, especially me and my mom. Going to bookmark it to make later.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Prawn lovers would love this lots. I would love to pour all that gravy on my rice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Agree ! I love prawns and these prawns are so succulent and yummy !

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am wondering what the yogurt marinade does to the texture of the shrimp. This is one delicious spicy dish.

    ReplyDelete