Friday, June 17, 2016

Chicken Lady Chicken

This week at Cook the Book Fridays (CtBF), the recipe that was selected from the book which we are currently cooking from, My Paris Kitchen by David Lebovitz, is this delicious dish called Chicken Lady Chicken. I like the name of this dish! I was giggling to myself when I was thinking, what if it was called "Chicken Man Chicken" or even "Chicken Guy Chicken". Nope, both do not sound right, Chicken Lady Chicken sounds perfect to me!

This recipe calls for a chicken which is to be prepared in a spatchcocked (butterflied) style, where the backbone of the chicken is removed, then the chicken is pushed down, crack the bone between the breast so that it lies as flat as possible. I have however used 4 whole chicken legs. (yup, i can be pretty lazy at times!). One other thing that I did not follow was to marinate the chicken for about  3 to 4 hours instead of 1 or 2 days in advance as indicated in the recipe. The only thing that I did really follow was the ingredients for the marinade ; garlic, salt, olive oil, lemon juice, white wine, soy sauce, harissa, Dijon mustard, and honey. Mix everything together, spoon some of the marinade under the skin, and rub the balance all over the chicken, in a bag. Keep refrigerated, flipping the bag over a few times. 



After marinating for a few hours (or overnight), the chicken is browned on the stove top in a skillet or a large pan, with a foil covering the top, and a heavy object (I used a stock pot filled with water), placed over the foil. Cook until the skin is golden brown, flip chicken over and brown the other side, Remove the foil and weight off the chicken and finish baking in the oven. There was some marinade left in the bag, instead of discarding it, I poured the marinade over the pieces of chicken before baking.



The chicken is so delicious! Even though I've only marinated the chicken pieces for a few hours, the flavours really did come through in the meat, which is moist, tender, and very tasty from the lovely marinade. There's some delicious juices from the baking, which is yummy spoon over the chicken pieces. The family love this new dish. One that I would make again.  I served this chicken dish with the Fattoush salad which we made for our previous assignment at CtBF. Perfect match!


15 comments:

  1. I have to try that marinade. The chicken looks very flavoursome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chicken with a salad. Chicken salad. All perfect pairing. Your plate looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I agree that this recipe was fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you, the chicken was moist and tender. My hubby loved it, burnt skin and all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes with the salad! I was going to make the fattoush with it as well and then didn't have a chance to. Looks great, Joyce, and I agree that the name is funny. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think using it on chicken legs was a great idea. The marinade is something special, isn't it? And serving it with the fattoush was a great choice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an unusual but catchy name! Looks delicious, Joyce!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the flavor of marination. Gonna try this weekend

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea to pour the marinade over the chicken when it goes into the oven. I have to remember that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh yumm that chicken looks divine!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your crispy skin is intact, great results you got there!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the chicken parts, great idea and it looks pretty with the Fattoush

    ReplyDelete
  13. The chicken look so yummy! How you cook them on the stove? Sorry i could not imagine like Chef Joyce! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like that you used chicken legs instead. A great time saver for sure. The Fattoush would be a perfect side too!

    ReplyDelete