Saturday, August 2, 2014

Crunchy Salad with Miso Dressing

"Serving Up Salads", theme for this week at I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC). We are currently cooking with Nigel Slater recipes, and he has tons of salad recipes to select from. What drawn me to this salad is the miso dressing, and also, I have all the ingredients, except for the bean sprouts, which I have omitted. Time to bring out that pack of miso dressing which I bought months ago and is still unopened! 



The miso dressing, made up of, miso paste, cooking wine, sugar and peanut oil (I've used canola oil). Really easy, just mix everything to combine, taste and adjust the sugar to your liking. This dressing is very tasty.




The veggies; cucumber, carrots, red chilli, coriander leaves, shredded spring onions and mint leaves. Carrots and cucumbers are sliced to matchsticks. The only change I did was to substitute the roasted peanuts to toasted sesame seeds. Toss the veggies with the miso dressing and sprinkle over the toasted sesame seeds. Serve immediately.

My notes : The miso dressing is very tasty. It does not need any salt, as the miso paste is already salty (I used about 2 tbps), all you have to do is to adjust on the amount of sugar to your liking. Really nice with the cooking wine and about 1 to 2 tablespoons of oil to bring it all together.
A really nice and tasty salad. Yummy! Love the crunch from the carrots and cucumbers. The mint leaves and coriander adds a lovely flavour and fragrance. And the nutty sesame seeds makes this salad looks really "Asian" when scattered over. I think I prefer sesame seeds to peanuts in this, it balances off really well with the miso dressing. Toss the veggies with the miso dressing just before serving, not earlier, as it would draw water from the veggies if left too long.


Crunchy Salad with Miso Dressing
(adapted from "The Kitchen Diaries", Nigel Slater)
"I also make a salad dressing tonight with 4 tablespoons of sake, 100gm of miso paste, 2 tablespoons of groundnut oil and a couple of teaspoons of sugar. I use it to dress a salad made from the following raw crunchy things ; a couple of big handfuls of bean shoots, a handful of mint leaves and another of coriander, half a cucumber and a couple of carrots, shredded into matchsticks, four shredded spring onions and three red chillies, seeded and chopped. I toast 150gm peanuts till they smell warm and nutty, chop them roughly, then toss the nuts, salad and miso dressing together. It makes a great, scrunchy, nutty, knubbly salad for two of us."


I'm linking this post with I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC), theme for this week "Serving Up Salads".

and am sharing this post with Souper Sundays @ Kahakai Kitchen


and
Cook-Your-Books

12 comments:

  1. Hi Joyce, occasionally I would make miso soup using the miso paste but didn’t know it can be used as miso dressing ... looks really crunchy, refreshing & tasty salad. Thanks for sharing !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very fresh and crunchy! I love the miso dressing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how crisp and crunchy the veggies look in this and I am always a fan of a good miso dressing. Yum! Thanks for sharing it with Souper Sundays this week too. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The crunchy veggies with miso dressing. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like miso dressing in salads too. Such a lovely earthiness to it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a healthy version of salad....yum yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Joyce, my family loves salads. This is a good one with miso. Bookmarked to make since I have miso in my fridge,lol. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the idea of using miso in a salad dressing especially with those crunchy vegetables! So flavourful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Delicious - this was such a good choice, Joyce. I love miso dressings for salads, and it would have been perfect with those lovely crunchy vegetables. I think using sesame seeds instead of peanuts was also a great substitute, and looks so pretty too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh dear Joyce, how could I have missed this? I love salads and am now very much into Japanese salad dressings. I would love to try this miso dressing!

    ReplyDelete