Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Crab and Coriander Cakes

"Moreish Meals", our theme for this week at I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC). Moreish Meals that will make you want to take a second or even third helpings. 

Ever since I came across this recipe in Nigel Slater's cookbook, The Kitchen Diaries II, I knew that I will be making it for one of our weekly theme. It definitely fits in this week's theme, "Moreish Meals".



I've used ready-bought frozen crab meat, and have added in some kaffir lime leaves from my garden pot, chopped finely and mix into the rest of the ingredients ; white bread, lime zest, chopped red chilli, coriander leaves, mayonnaise, salt and pepper to taste. The mixture are then form into small patties, and pan-fry with just a little oil in a non-stick saucepan on both sides until golden brown. The patties are rather fragile, and got to handle them gently when turning over. Make sure that the bottom is already golden brown, if not, it would break up rather easily, then turn them over to the other side very gently, it helps using both hands, one holding a spoon and the other with a spatula. Drain on kitchen towel paper and serve while still warm.

My notes : Very tasty crab cakes! They are very good when dipped in mayonnaise. You would definitely reach out for the second and the third piece!


Crab and Coriander Cakes
(adapted from "The Kitchen Diaries II", Nigel Slater)
200gm brown crabmeat
200gm white crabmeat
80gm white bread, crusts removed
a lime
a medium-sized, moderately hot red chilli
coriander leaves ; a large handful
2 tbsps mayonnaise
a little groundnut or vegetable oil
2 fresh kaffir lime leaves, thinly shredded and chopped (my addition)

Put the crabmeat into a large mixing bowl. Reduce the bread to crumbs in a food processor, then add to the crab. Grate the lime zest finely into the bowl and add the juice.
Halve, seed and finely chop the chilli. Chop the coriander leaves. Add the chilli and coriander to the crab, then add the mayonnaise. Season with just a little salt and some black pepper and mix thoroughly.
Taking 2 tablespoons of the mixture at a time, make it into small patties, about the size of a digestive biscuit. Set them aside.
Heat a shallow film (no more) of oil in a non-stick pan. Using a palette knife or fish slice, gently slide the fishcakes into the hot oil - they should sizzle immediately - then leave them to form a crust on the underside. When it is golden, gently flip them over on to the other side. Cook for three or four minutes, then lift out carefully.
Enough for 4.


I'm linking this post with I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC) for this week's theme, "Moreish Meals".
Grab button for IHCC


and
Cook-Your-Books



25 comments:

  1. Delicious and lovely looking cake. Wonderfully prepared.
    Deepa

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow these crab cakes look so tempting and indeed very moreish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are making me hungry!! Looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fuss-free and delicious crab cakes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooo I can try making this! Just need shallow frying :) It sure looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joyce, I know that I will love these crab cakes! Your addition of kaffir lime leaves is brilliant. Makes the crab cakes even more fragrant and tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds wonderful and i can smell the aroma of the crab cakes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Look so delicious! Can't wait to try your recipe. Thanks Joyce!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Joyce, this crab cakes is so beautiful and tempting. Am bookmarking this recipe. Thanks for sharing and regards :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Joyce , two words ... yummy , delicious ... like Ivy , I'm bookmarking this dish . Thanks for sharing ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Joyce! This is so good! I must try.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Joyce, these fragrant and Coriander Cakes are so tasty ! Yum yum !

    ReplyDelete
  13. YUM! I love crab cakes, I love the coriander leaves...and yes, kafir lime leaves definitely adds more flavor...beautiful cakes Joyce.
    Have a wonderful week :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. they look like perfection. perfectly cooked and moist. I love how you added in the coriander. I have never tried that before. crab cakes are one of my absolute favorites

    ReplyDelete
  15. They look perfectly delicious, Joyce, so golden and crispy. I definitely wouldn't be able to stop at one!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well I like the sound of these crab cakes. Yes, I would want more of them and I like the fact that you can just prepare them and start cooking. The recipe I have calls for chilling them at leats 2 hours in the fridge. I must try these. Great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The crab cakes look tasty and beautiful! Seem like a savory dish that wouldn't last on the plate. I could eat everything on that plate by myself! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yum! You're making me hungry, even though where I am right now it's breakfast time!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh Joyce...you always pick the very best recipes :) I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE crab cakes and I always want more of them. LOL! I've never tried a version quite like this one but the flavors sound wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  20. These look amazing! I love crab cakes and these sound so good.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the combination of flavors in these crab cakes and that you added the kaffir lime too--makes it all the better. I would definitely eat more of these than I should. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am one of these cilantro haters, but with parsley and kaffir lime these little cakes would be just right for my palate.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm absolutely salivating looking at those crab cakes. Great addition of the kaffir lime leaves. I would definitely be lining up for a second helping (ok third) of these.

    ReplyDelete