Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Chicken Stew

"August Potluck", our theme for this week at I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC). Everyone loves a potluck, we get to choose tons of recipes from our previous featured chefs at IHCC. So for this month's potluck, I've cooked a Chicken Stew dish, recipe from Giada de Laurentiis.




There are a few changes I've made, just little changes. Firstly, I have used half a chicken (minus the wings), instead of two chicken breasts with ribs. I do not have anymore homemade chicken stock, so have used water with 2 teaspoons chicken stock powder. Replaced the canned kidney beans with potatoes, as we love potatoes in stews. I omitted the basil leaves as well, even though I love basil leaves, but I'm not sure about using all 1/2 cup of it in Chicken Stew. I'm happy with just the bay leaf and the dried thyme leaves as listed in the recipe. One other thing is, I've replaced the tomato paste with 3 tablespoons tomato ketchup, since I do not have any tomato paste at hand.


No wonder there are so many good reviews about this dish at foodnetwork. This is one delicious stew!


We ate this for our dinner on Sunday, with store-bought crusty bread. Such a simple meal, yet so satisfying

My notes : The bay leaf and the dried thyme leaves gave a wonderful aroma to the stew, and I'm glad that I did not include the basil leaves. The next time, I would probably use the kidney beans as stated in the recipe, but will include the potatoes as well, like I did here, as potatoes are so delicious in stews, they soaked up the surrounding flavours really well. The veggies are tender-soft without being mushy. I cut the cooked chicken meat into bite-sized chunky pieces, discarding the bones, and the meat is tender and so tasty from the simmering with the herbs and veggies. I can see this stew appearing in my kitchen anytime in the near future! Delicious! 


Chicken Stew
(adapted from foodnetwork.com)
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 stalks celery, cut into bite-size pieces
1 carrot, peeled, cut into bite-size pieces
1 small onion, chopped
3 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into bite-size pieces (my addition)
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 (14-1/2ounce) can chopped tomatoes
1 (14-ounce) can low-salt chicken broth
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, torn into pieces
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
2 chicken breast with ribs (about 1-1/2 pounds total)
1 (15-ounce) can organic kidney beans, drained (rinsed if not organic)
serving suggestion : crusty bread

Heat the oil in a heavy 5-1/2 quart saucepan over medium heat. Add the celery, carrot and onion. Saute the vegetables until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Stir in the tomatoes with their juices, chicken broth, basil, tomato paste, bay leaf, and thyme. Add the chicken breasts; press to submerge.
Bring the cooking liquid to a simmer.  (Add the chopped potatoes). Reduce the heat, to medium-low and simmer gently uncovered (I put the lid on) until the chicken is almost cooked through, turning the chicken breasts over and stirring the mixture occasionally, about 25 minutes. Using tongs, transfer the chicken breasts to a work surface and cool for 5 minutes. Discard the bay leaf. Add the kidney beans to the pot and simmer until the liquid has reduced into a stew  consistency, about 10 minutes.
Discard the skin and bones from the chicken breasts. Shred or cut the chicken into bite-size pieces. Return the chicken meat to the stew. Bring the stew just to a simmer. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Ladle the stew into serving bowls and serve with the bread.


I'm linking this post to :
I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC), for August Potluck.

25 comments:

  1. Lovely and healthy looking chicken stew for August Potluck. Wonderfully prepared.
    Deepa

    ReplyDelete
  2. i can't say enough i can't resist any chicken recipes from your site... this is truly my kind of food... i call this my comfort food "D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Give me a bowl of your stew anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joyce, I love chicken stew! And potatoes is a must! You were right in leaving out the basil. It would have spoilt the stew,

    ReplyDelete
  5. having a cold rainy day over here this would make a perfect meal for tonight

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joyce, may I have a bowl of your tasty chicken stew ?

    ReplyDelete
  7. gonna save this one for the next few weeks bc it is the perfect weeknight meal especially now that school is starting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha! We both cooked with Giada this month for Potluck. Great choice here, I love any sort of stew and this is a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Joyce , great chicken stew ... got my bowl in hand , open the door ;-D ~Nee~

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such a comforting dish...so hearty...and packed with flavor.
    Have a great week Joyce :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Joyce,

    I was having running nose and headaches yesterday because I was walking in the Monday rain... Ah choo!!! I think I need to eat your chicken stew to warm my nose!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  12. Joyce, long time no see!! Your chicken stew looks perfect for a rainy day to cosy up under the sheets. I love how homely this dish looks :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Joyce, we love watching Food Network and I like Giada. Your stew looks like comfort food! I haven't made stew with chicken yet. I usually do pork stew with potatoes and carrots. I might have to try this hearty chicken stew, yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mmm...THis looks like a dish that my sons would love, really nice on a cold wet day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This stew looks really comforting and delicious! I love a good soup/stew on a cool rainy day.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can't stop looking at the 3rd photo ! It looks pretty appetizing ! Now I know where to use my dried thyme leaves :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. Healthy and delicious!! Blessings dear. Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  18. This would be wonderful when the weather cools down. I love chicken soups and stews!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yayyy Chicken Stew.... I love Chicken Stew... Its so yummy...
    Thanks for sharing the recipe for us...

    ReplyDelete
  20. This stew sounds like soul food, what a wonderful presentation

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a delicious looking dish, and so comforting! I agree with you about potatoes - they do a wonderful job of soaking up all of the flavours in a stew.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Chicken stew is such great comfort food and this one looks especially good. I am a huge fan of potatoes in stews too. Great pick for Potluck and thank you for sharing it with Souper Sundays this week. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is such a great looking chicken stew, Joyce - real comfort food, but still quite light, that would be perfect for the winter evenings which are turning into milder spring evenings here. Great pick, and great changes you made to suit the ingredients you had to hand. I think agree with you too about bay and thyme being more suitable herbs here than full on basil. I think if I were to include basil in a dish like this, it would maybe be by way of a dollop of basil pesto when it's served.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Delicious bowl of stew! Would love to have it with crusty bread.

    ReplyDelete