Monday, May 12, 2014

THB : Pecan Streusel Coffee Cake

This week at The Home Bakers (THB), Mich from Piece of Cake has selected Pecan Streusel Coffee Cake, as our bake #35. A simple coffee cake, perfect with a cup of tea or coffee, simple but yet so good!


One half of the streusel topping, with pecans, while the other half with chocolate chips.

I've made only half a recipe and have made a few changes, as usual, I have reduced the sugar for both the streusel topping and the cake batter, which I have reduced by half. I have used 1/8 cup sugar each  for both the cake batter and the streusel topping (from original amount of 1/4 cup for half a recipe). I almost cannot believe that the butter used is only 30 grams (1/4 stick) for half a recipe. And I have made the streusel topping into two different flavours, one half is mixed with pecan as per the original recipe, and the other half is with chocolate chips, since my daughter do not like nuts in her cakes. I baked the cake in a 6-1/2" loose-bottomed cake pan, and it bakes up quite tall.


The cake is moist, soft with tender crumbs. The yoghurt must have contributed to the moist texture, as the butter is really very little (30 grams). Both the different streusel topping, pecans and the chocolate chips are delicious with cake. This makes a very nice coffee cake indeed. 


*********************

For the full recipe and instructions, please visit the host of this bake, Mich of Piece of Cake. To view other members' bake, please visit The Home Bakers (THB).


Welcome to The Home Bakers


We are a group of home bakers who are currently baking from "Coffee Cakes" by Lou Seibert Pappas. This is our bake no. 35 and we have 25 recipes more to go. If you are interested to be a member and join in our bakes, you may drop me an email at kitchenflavours@yahoo.com.


19 comments:

  1. Pecan and chocolate..what's not to love this gorgeous coffee cake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anything with pecan is extraordinary! The nut is yummy and I am sure this is a very yummy cake :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joyce, in the past, whenever I saw recipes that used "stick" as a measurement unit for butter, I would frown because I don't know the conversion. So 1/4 stick = 30g? Which means 1 stick =120g? Thanks for sharing this useful information. Oh, by the way, I love your pecan streusel coffee cake!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Im sure this is a great cake. Look at all those goodies on the topping!

    ReplyDelete
  5. in hokkien, they say good stuff are usually found in the bottom... i love your goodies on top... i can see and eat it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea to add chocolate chips! I would love that choc chip version too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Joyce, I like the fact that you are giving yourself 2 brilliant options for toppings to eat for your coffee cake. What wonderful choices! You can eat it on 2 separate occasions but yet it's the same cake. Yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. YUmm would love a big slice of that delicious looking cake.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful cake to serve. I do love pecan anything!! blessings, Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Joyce , what a yummy cake , I need a piece right now . Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish hubby would eat chocolate. I would mix the chocolate and nuts but I love yours with them separated. I couldn't believe it, when I went to get the pecans, there were none to be found. It turned out, hubby flipped over the almonds.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Joyce, this is a lovely cake that I would love to bake and eat! But my only complaint is that pecans are so expensive. Like eating gold!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely cake! Hope to join you for the tea time, get ready a cup of coffee for me ya! hehe...

    ReplyDelete
  14. i grew up on streusel cake as it one was one of grandmother's favorite things to make. Yours is done perfectly

    ReplyDelete
  15. I looks delicious! I love all of those goodies on top :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Joyce,

    I do realise that the cake base used kind of minimal amount of butter and I guess that the buttermilk has made it kind of moist, spongy and muffin-like. I actually like it with a reasonable amount of salt :p

    No doubt, yours with chocolate chip must be yummy!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my this is beautiful, it looks absolutely delicious. You always make my mouth water! I love baking too but mostly during the holidays. I'd like to bake more but the schedule can get crazy with my toddler! My garden is keeping me so busy too. I bet your kitchen smells delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good idea to make half the cake with chocolate chip toppings. :D The best of both worlds.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Joyce, Lovely cake & what a fqbulous idea for the topping . I'm sure it's real chocolatey yummy . I've just baked this cake & we love it . Delicious cake with perfect texture . Will definitely baking this coffee cake again ;)

    ReplyDelete