Friday, May 9, 2014

Ham and Cheddar Muffins

These savoury muffins are just so delicious. There's no butter or oil used at all for these muffins. The grated cheddar cheese which is mixed into the batter makes the muffins really moist and tender. I made this for tea-time on the weekend, and my only regret is to make half a recipe.





I did make some substitutions for some of the ingredients. Recipe calls for chopped ham, and did not have any, but I do have leftover luncheon meat, and that was what I used. And I have replaced the buttermilk with regular milk. I have added some chopped chives, about 2 tbsps, since I have some chives in my garden pot. 

Really easy, mix the wet ingredients in one bowl, the dry ingredients in another, and combine them together just until blended, taking care not to overmix. Reserve some cheddar cheese to scatter over the batter before baking. 

Using standard muffin pans, I got only 7 muffins instead of 9 for half a recipe.


Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown. These muffins did not rise really high as some muffins do, but they are really moist, soft and tender.


Really delicious!


These would be perfect for a breakfast treat, even for lunch with some veggie salad to munch on. And if you are having it for tea-time, make sure you have your favourite cup of warm tea ready! 


note : my measurements in blue for half a recipe
Ham and Cheddar Muffins
(adapted from "750 Best Muffin Recipes", Camilla V. Saulsbury)
Makes 18 muffins (I got 7 muffins for half a recipe)
1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour (1/2 cup + 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp)
2 tsp baking powder (1 tsp)
1 tsp ground cumin (1/2 tsp)
1/2 tsp baking soda (1/4 tsp)
1/4 tsp salt (omitted)
2 cups shredded sharp (old) Cheddar cheese, divided (1 cup)
2 eggs (1)
1 tbsp Dijon mustard (1/2 tbsp)
1 cup buttermilk (replaced with 1/2 cup milk)
2 cups diced cooked ham (replaced with 1 cup diced luncheon meat)
2 tbsps chopped chives (my addition)

Preheat oven to 375F (190C)
Two 12-cup muffin pans, 18 cups greased
  1. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, cumin, baking soda and salt. Stir in 1-1/2 cups (375ml) of the cheese and chives (if using).
  2. In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs and mustard until well blended. Whisk in  buttermilk until blended.
  3. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir until just blended. Gently fold in ham.
  4. Divide batter equally among prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
  5. Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until tops are golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool in pans on a wire rack for 5 minutes, then transfer to the rack. Serve warm or let cool completely.
******************

I am linking this post to Little Thumbs Up event, ingredient for this month is Milk, organised by Zoe of Bake For Happy Kids, Doreen of My Favourite D.I.Y., hosted by Tze of Awayofmind Bakery House.



and

 photo 77951578-1914-4b72-8eda-9e40a91183ac_zps331eb4b4.jpg

17 comments:

  1. These muffins look ever so flavourful and tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simply awesome and deoolworthy muffins. Lovely mix of ham and Chedder.
    Deepa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy, yummy savoury muffins, my son will love it too!

    Thanks for linkup with Little Thumbs Up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you know every time i see your savoury muffins, i'm so tempted to bake it but somehow.... .... ok you treat me?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can imagine the kitchen must be filled with the aroma of cheese while baking these muffins. Agree these will be good for breakfast esp. straight out of the oven.

    ReplyDelete
  6. so many cheese on top, heeheehee

    ReplyDelete
  7. No one can resist anything with cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll bake more and have them for dinner ..... carbo,protein all in one :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. yumm, these would make great lunch box snack for school :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Se ve muy sabroso este muffins,abrazos

    ReplyDelete
  11. these muffins look delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Although, we don't eat ham, this type of muffin would disappear quickly with a sub for the ham.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Savoury Muffins! It's surely yummy! :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wah sedap ya. Make more n invite us over

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cheddar makes really nice savoury muffins ya... am pretty surprised that my son likes it a lot! No butter/oil sounds good to me!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the fact there is no butter or oil! Love the addition of cheese in these muffins.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Joyce, I have not tried savory muffins before. These look very delicious. I can understand why you regretted making only half recipe!

    ReplyDelete