Friday, March 7, 2014

Pasta with Mushroom

"Noodles, Noodles, Everywhere!", our theme for this week at I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC), where we are currently cooking from Donna Hay's recipes, and we have three weeks more to go before we start with our next featured chef. 

I am in the midst of clearing my freezer, and found some cooking cream which I freeze a while back. In order to use up the cream, I've cooked this simple Pasta with Mushroom. A couple of months ago, I've cooked Creamy Mushroom Pasta, a Bill Granger recipe, which we really enjoyed, so I thought of giving Donna Hay's recipe a try since these two recipes are quite similar.


I've used fresh shiitake mushrooms. Though the recipe does not call for lemon zest, but I have added that in, since we love it when I cooked Bill Granger's recipe the last time. And I've added 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped and cook it together with the mushrooms.


Comparing this recipe with the one from Bill Granger, I think the recipe from Bill Granger has a winning point, which he uses fresh thymes and lemon zest which in my opinion brings out the flavour of the dish with the delicate fragrance of the thymes and freshness from the lemon zest. But with that being said, this is a nice pasta dish. We had this for lunch and the kids were happy.


Pasta with Mushroom
(adapted from here)
2 tablespoons butter
1 red chilli, seeded and chopped
400g (14 oz) sliced mushrooms, such as field, shiitake or button
3/4 cup (6 fl oz) vegetable stock
3/4 cup (6 fl oz) cream
2 tablespoons lemon juice
400g (14 oz) fettuccine or linguine
1/2 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
1/4 cup chopped basil
cracked black pepper and sea salt
Heat a frying pan over medium heat. Add the butter, chilli and mushrooms and cook for 4 minutes or until the mushrooms are brown. Add the stock, cream and lemon juice and simmer for 5 minutes.
While the sauce is simmering, place the pasta in a large saucepan of lightly salted boiling water and cook until al dente
. Drain. Toss the pasta with the mushroom sauce, parmesan, basil, pepper and salt. Serves 4.

To view other noodles dishes that my friends have made, please visit I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC)
IHCC Donna Hay Badge resized

and

I'm linking this post to Cook Like A Star, All-Stars Anniversary Party, hosted by Zoe of Bake For Happy KidsMich of Piece of Cake and Joyce of Kitchen Flavours.
(click on any of the hostess blog for further info and to link your posts)

All-Stars Anniversary Party featured chefs :  Ina Garten, Jamie Oliver, Nigella Lawson, Curtis Stone, Ree Drummond, Bill Granger, Masterchefs, Martha Stewart, Delia Smith, Donna Hay






16 comments:

  1. not a good time for me to look at this when it is near dinner time... grrrrrr... now i'm starving big time Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pasta and mushroom is one of my favorite combination. Simple and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want that plate, love to finish it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. mi sono piaciute molto le tue ricette !!!! complimenti...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Se ve impresionante muy deliciosa,abrazos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Joyce , boy do this pasta dish look good . Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks easy and delicious! Definitely a keeper recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love all of the flavors in this and that you added the lemon zest to brighten it. Such an easy and tasty dish! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooooo, Joyce, if my children see ur pasta dish, they will surely ask me to make, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Joyce,

    Me too! After cooking many celebrity chef recipes, we are now comparing their recipes. I can see see this is a battle between Donna Hay and Bill Granger... Nevermind if DH or BG wins, your pasta looks delicious to me :D

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  11. Joyce, I miss pasta. Sobs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love mushroom-pasta dishes and I think your addition of the lemon zest would make it even better. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks like a delicious dish, Joyce - the kind of thing I would love for a mid-week meal. I think your addition of the lemon zest and garlic was a great change, and one I would definitely use.

    ReplyDelete