Thursday, November 1, 2012

Velvety Pumpkin Tart : ABC November 2012

The bake at Avid Baker's Challenge (ABC) for this month is Velvety Pumpkin Tart, taken from "The Weekend Baker" by Abigail Johnson Dodge. We have one more month to go baking with Abby Dodge before we start with another new cookbook in January 2013.



This pumpkin tart looks perfect except for the little hole somewhere in the centre. I acccidently poked it with a fork when I remove it from the oven, I used a fork to lift the bottom of the pan when taking it out, and careless me poked the tart before I could put the fork down!



Just pretend the hole is not there! 



Like Abby says, this tart is velvety smooth, thanks to the cream cheese in the filling, all 250gm of it! I did a couple of changes to the recipe. This recipe calls for ginger snaps crumbs for the crust, but since I could not find any ginger snap biscuits, I used digestive biscuits, processed them to fine crumbs and added in 1/4 teaspoon of ground ginger, could not taste the ginger at all, should have added more. And I have used two additional tablespoons of melted butter, as I find the original 3 tablespoons is not enough, when mixed with the crumbs, they are still very sandy and dry. The other changes I made is to reduce the sugar from 170gms to 120gms for the filling, which turns out just right.



To make the filling, beat the cream cheese and sugar until creamy and add in the rest of the ingredients, pumpkin puree, eggs, vanilla extract, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, ground cloves and salt until well mixed. The crust is baked for 10 minutes to brown it a little, the filling is then poured on top and bake for a further 30 minutes. Leave to cool and refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving.



Another lovely recipe from Abby. 





Please do visit ABC to see the other fellow bakers take on this lovely bread. If you would like to join ABC, please contact Hanaa.




27 comments:

  1. WOW, looks so GOOD, Pefrect for HAlloween :)
    I have a new post , plz come by :D

    XoXo
    http://abudhabifood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Joyce,
    Good morning~
    This is just like its named looks velvety delicious piece of tart. I like how you make the tart crust so nicely and the filling pumpkin and cream cheese, it is so inviting.
    Can i have a piece for my breakfast?..:)
    mui..^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look perfect and delicious!!! Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your pumpkin tart- it looks so smooth and creamy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks delicious, I love the smooth and creamy pumpkin filling. My mum used to make pumpkin pies, and I really miss them. Would love to have a slice now looking at yours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks very smooth and good. I also baked a pumpkin crumbles cake recently.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Una exquistez irresistible,abrazos y abrazos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow, this sounds superb! nice to go with your masala chai tea! dont worry, i'm half asleep now..very tired these 2 days so i cant really see the holes! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ehehehe what hole? Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't see the holes, I don't see th holes, haha, now can I have your pumpkin tart or can I use the pumpkin bread that I baked today in exchange with a slice of your tart?I untung in this case

    ReplyDelete
  11. What hole ?! I thought that's a part of your presentation ! lol It looks delicious and pretty even with that itty bitty hole ;D It's perfectly-baked , too !

    ReplyDelete
  12. I envy your bakes dear! You are one wonderful baker...unlike me! Hehehe...malas! :)))

    Join my Blog Event:~ DEEPAVALI DELIGHTS 2012

    ReplyDelete
  13. so funny: I had a hole too, when I touched it to see if it was done, but I cheated and covered it up with an autumn leaf in the picture :)
    I love how crumbly your crust looks, those digestive biscuits work well!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks perfect to me :) I love to bake this too as I love pumpkin tart very much.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh that looks wonderful! I would prefer that to regular pumpkin pie since I usually just take a tiny sliver anyway. Now I need to find where I have shelved my cookbook... (Love your blueberry crumb cake and peach muffins too.)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous pumpkin tart! Who cares about a little hole :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. My daughter really loves pumpkin. Maybe can try this when I get some cream cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Joyce, this looks like a delightful option for Thanksgiving! Love that the filling is so creamy...and a gingersnap crust sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  19. i can imagine how creamy & tasty this is!!! have a piece with black coffee on a rainy day....bestest!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Joyce, you baked the tart perfectly! I am feeling so hungry right now :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a great looking tart! I will be baking mine late this month. Thanks for the tip on decreasing the sugar amount.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Eeehh... what holes ahh? I've my glasses on but still can't see the holes woh! LOL Looks really velvety smooth & so utterly yummy with pumpkin. You know how much I'm in love with pumpkin , don't you? LOL

    ReplyDelete