Thursday, November 15, 2012

Orange Oatmeal Bread

This is one lovely bread, well, not quite a bread, it is a cross between a bread and a cake. But since this recipe is from a book on breads, then I suppose, it is to be called a bread! Whatever name it is called, this is one healthy and yummy bread. It only uses 2 tablespoons of butter, and I just cannot believe just how moist the bread is. 



All the healthy goodness of oats and fresh orange (zest and flesh), goes into this lovely bread. Instead of milk, this recipe uses warm water, and when I cut the orange, I collected all the juices from the orange and used that too. I did not use the extra 2 tablespoons of sugar (for the orange) as indicated in the recipe, I took the 2 tablespoons of sugar from the 3/4 cup meant for the batter. Even then, this bread is a little too sweet for me. When I make this again, I will definitely reduce the sugar.



I use one large orange, so fragrant and juicy. The zest, flesh and juices from the oranges are mixed together with 2 tablespoons of sugar and left for awhile to macerate so that the orange get soaked in its own juices, before they are mixed with the rest of the wet ingredients.



The wet ingredients are then mixed into the dry ingredients and stir to combine. Bake for about an hour. Smells incredibly nice while baking!



I sliced the bread while it is still warm, and it is a little crumbly, so very moist, and soft. The oats makes the bread a little chewy with interesting texture and the oranges is just delightful. 



Look at the bits of oranges and oats in it! A slice of this moist bread is perfect with a cup of tea.


I'm sharing this with :
BYOB, Bake Your Own Bread hosted by Girlichef
Quick Bread Monday hosted by Cake Duchess
Recipe Box hosted by Bizzy Bakes
Full Plate Thursday hosted by Miz Helen's Country Cottage
See Ya In The Gumbo hosted by Ms. enPlace



Orange Oatmeal Bread
(adapted from "Bernard Clayton's New Complete Book of Breads")
1 orange
2 tablespoons plus 3/4 cup sugar (I use 3/4 cup only, 2 tablespoons taken from the 3/4 cup)**
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup rolled oats
2 eggs
2 tablespoons butter, melted
2/3 cup warm water (105-115 degrees)

Baking Pan : 1 large (9"x5") or 2 small (7"x3") baking pans, buttered, then lined with buttered wax paper along sides and bottom.

Grate the orange for its zest, then peel. Reserve zest. Cut off the outer white membrane and, with a sharp knife, cut the meat out of each section, leaving the tough sectional membranes intact. Discard the membranes and seeds. Cut the flesh into small pieces and add the orange zest. Sprinkle with the 2 tablespoons sugar and mix well. Set aside.

In a large bowl measure the flour, 3/4 cup sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Stir in the rolled oats. In a separate bowl lightly beat the eggs and mix with the melted butter, reserved orange mixture, and water. Blend the liquid into the dry ingredients. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees while letting the pan(s) rest for 10 minutes.

Bake the loaf or loaves in the oven until a wooden toothpick or cake testing pin inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean and dry, 1 hour. The baking time will be about 15 minutes less for small loaves.
(If using convection oven, reduce heat 50 degrees and bake the large loaves for 50 minutes and the smaller ones for 35 minutes).

Remove the bread from the oven. Carefully remove the bread from the pan(s), tugging gently on the wax paper to loosen it. Allow to cool slightly on a metal rack before serving.
Delicious served warm, spread with sweet butter.


kitchen flavour's notes :
** to reduce the amount of sugar, as it is still very sweet


27 comments:

  1. Yes, please...I'd love some with a cup of tea! This looks so moist and delicious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, thanks for sharing the recipe! I made banana bread-cake and I loved it very much and now I'm going to make orange oat bread-cake! Yoohoo!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This really sounds wonderful. I love orange breads and it looks so moist and flavorful! Bookmarking for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks really moist and delicious and I love the refreshing taste of oranges in cakes/bread :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Joyce!!!

    Your Orange Oatmeal Bread/Cake, lol...looks absolutely heavenly. The moist orange goodness is calling my name:)

    Thank you so much for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  6. oooooh, yummy, it looked really moist and with the orange bits & oats... 1 slice pls..:))

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have two citrus trees and think I will be making this bread with the fruit!
    Thank you for linking with See Ya In the Gumbo this week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow really look yummy , when free must try this.. thanks for sharing too

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh what a great idea to use up my leftover rolled oats, thks Joyce :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gua baru beli one bag of oats thinking of making cookies tapi ni nampak sedap eh..

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think I can smell that bread over here ! lol Delicious bread , Joyce ! Love that it uses only 2 tablespoons of butter and the orange flavor sounds really really good :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the addition of orange chunks here, love to have a slice.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like the citrus flavour in the bread... or is it a cake? :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looking at your bread now is making me hungry!It's 10.40pm now & can't have supper, makes me fat only, hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a lovely quick bread, Joyce. I can imagine enjoying it with a steaming mug of coffee for breakfast...or dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is so beautiful. I wonder if it would work with lemons. I love oats in bread...Delicious.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  18. i can't believe how moist that bread is! sounds wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I could smell orange from here. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  20. eileen, hundred eighty degreesFriday, November 16, 2012

    I've never tried rolled oats into cake/bread, sound interesting to me. Nice bake: )

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very robust looking bread. I can imagine the orangey aromas and flavours.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I can smell it from here:D Another winner for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  23. i dont think i had anything like this before, chunks of oranges in the bread cake. This looks and sounds wonderful, anytime i can take 2 slices, no problem!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I agrred with Lena that I too have never had anything like this before. Looks so moist with lovely texture & I can imagine the lovely aroma of this bread! Looks like a winner indeed! I LOVE oatmeal & just baked some orange & oatmeal scones last weekend ! LOL Great minds think a little alike huh. Yours is a cake, mine are mini scones! :p heheheheheehe

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wishing you and your family a very Happy and Blessed Thanksgiving. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  26. Joyce,
    This is good to go with a cuppa of hot coffee:)
    Love the piece of oranges in the bread, look so inviting!!
    mui..^^

    ReplyDelete