Thursday, September 6, 2012

Chocolate Ice Cream, Philadelphia-Style

This is the perfect chocolate ice cream, for now at least! I wonder why it has taken me so long to finally try this one out from The Perfect Scoop. Mainly because all the chocolates that I bought ended up in a bake. 





The ingredients calls for cocoa powder, a whole bar of unsweetened chocolate, cream, milk and sugar. Simple, easy, there's no need to cook any custard, so super easy! Though I got to wash the blender as the ingredients are blended to ensure that all the chocolates are melted and mixture is smooth. I use semi-sweet chocolate (Van Houten), as that was what I had in my pantry. And of course, I always reduce the sugar for my bakes and ice creams too. Instead of 1 cup of sugar which was the original amount, I used 1/2 a cup, though I think that even 1/3 cup would be OK, since the chocolate that I used was semi-sweet.



I mixed all the ingredients, refer to the recipe below, chill it, covered in the refrigerator overnight. The next morning, I churned the mixture in the ice-cream maker. The texture is really soft and did not thicken even after 40 minutes of churning. So I just pour, yes, I cannot even scoop it out without using a deep ladle, into a container and freeze it. At night, when we ate it, the texture is like softened ice cream, but extremely yummy! The next day, it has harden further, but melts rather quick when I scooped it out into the bowl.




This ice cream is so, so, chocolaty, creamy and absolutely delicious! Each spoonful is "chocolate ice-cream paradise"!

I'm sharing this with :

Chocolate Ice Cream, Philadelphia-Style
(The Perfect Scoop, David Lebovitz)
2-1/4 cups (560ml) heavy cream
6 tablespoons (50gm) unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
1 cup (200gm) sugar
pinch of salt
6 ounces (170gm) unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1 cup (250ml) whole milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Whisk together the cream, cocoa powder, sugar, and salt in a large saucepan. Heat the mixture, whisking frequently, until it comes to a full, rolling boil (it will start to foam up). Remove from the heat and whisk in the chocolate until it's completely melted, then whisk in the milk and vanilla. Pour the mixture into a blender and blend for 30 seconds, until very smooth.
Chill the mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator, then freeze it in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.



25 comments:

  1. I know I was just here Joyce but when I saw Philadelphia Style Ice Cream in Chaya's side bar and that you were making it I just had to pop by for a scoop. Oh goodness, Philadelphia Style Ice Cream is thee best and yours looks awesome!!!

    Thank you so much for sharing...you made my night!!! (I was just looking for ice cream in the freezer and was surprised to see Marion got to it first. I settled on yogurt:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Irresistible !! I am coming to your place...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yum! I can have that big bowl all to myself!! I love chocolate ice cream...any style lol! Thanks for sharing this decadent desert......:))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Days are getting warmer here because winter has ended now, so please pass me some of your chocolate ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks yummy...the weather is so hot and humid...ice creams any style will do :) I just made some rum and raisin ice cream and it helps me take the hot weather better and something to perk me up :) thanks for sharing the recipe..I love chocolate flavored ones too !

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want a double scoop of this!! I love David's recipes and this looks perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks delicious, Joyce! Now I am going to dig for ice cream in my freezer after looking at yours!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wish to have few scoops rite now,yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's fantastic, looks delicious!
    Take a ball of your ice cream for my kitchen :)
    kisses:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh yum! I must make some ice cream before summer is over!

    ReplyDelete
  11. yum! slurp!! lick!!! best of the best!! so deliciously chocolatey rich and comforting!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh yumms! have not made any ice cream for a time now... freezer's full hence no place for the ice cream maker bowl!

    ReplyDelete
  13. As a former Philadelphian, I'll just have to try this! And, it's chocolate, so I'm definitely there!

    ReplyDelete
  14. whether philadelphia's style or kitchenflavour's style, i would like to have some!! the melted ice cream i can use to sapu on top of my bread!no wastage! YUm! YUm! YUm!

    ReplyDelete
  15. love ice cream and this look absolutely delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Chocolate ice cream, yay! Love it!!

    Homemade ice cream is more "authentic" and we can control the sugar :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. Joyce, its melting ... quick pass some to me.

    ReplyDelete
  18. oh sedap tu. tengok pun tau. next time make double recipe and send a tub over!

    ReplyDelete
  19. hi Joyce, i am very much tempted to buy ice cream maker with so many ice cream recipes from many bloggers including you :)
    looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Joy,
    That Ice Cream looks so creamy, rich and delicious, wish that dish was for me. Your recipe is awesome! Hope you have a great weekend and thanks for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  21. Joyce , I'm melting over here ! lol I need some of that yumminess as well ! You want to swap ice cream ?! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  22. Want. Some. Now. Oh, does that look good.

    Just wanted to invite you to come link up with Frugal Food Thursday at Frugal Follies! Hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Joyce,
    This chocolate ice cream look incredible ly tempting. It is so smooth and creamy. Love to have a few scoops ...:)

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is so good.Can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete