Thursday, January 12, 2012

Brownie Buttons : Free and Easy Bake-Along No. 16 - Theme : Brownies

I am late for my own Bake-Along "Brownie" posting. I was absent for a week as there was some personal matters that I have got to attend to and now that everything is fine, I can't help thinking about baking something! So here's my brownie!








This is a fairly easy brownie to make, really quick, it was done in about 20 minutes. It has a moist and soft cake-like texture. Do not skip the white choc coating, I think it taste better with the white chocolate.



Photobucket


If you have not visited my baking buddies Lena and Zoe, do hop over to their blogs and see their lovely brownies. Also please do visit our other baking friends delicious brownies,  in the linky below. For our next Bake-Along, we will be baking Cherry Vanilla Teacake with Vanilla Sugar, from Bon Appetit Desserts cookbook, or you may get the recipe here.  We will post it on 30/01 and our linky will stay open for 5 days, please do join us. See you!


Brownie Buttons
(adapted from "Baking From My Home To Yours" by Dorie Greenspan)
Grated zest of 1/2 orange (optional)
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
pinch of salt
1/2 stick (4 tablespoons) unsalted butter, cut into 4 pieces
2-1/2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
1/3 cup (packed) light brown sugar (I use scant 1/3 cup, loosely packed)
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 large egg


For the glaze (optional)
2 ounces white chocolate, finely chopped


GETTING READY :
Center a rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly butter two miniature muffin pans, each with a dozen cups, and place them on a baking sheet.
If you're using the orange zest, combine the zest and sugar in a small bowl, rubbing them between your fingertips to blend, set aside. Whisk together the flour and salt.
Melt the butter, chocolate and brown sugar in a medium heavy-bottomed saucepan over very low heat, stirring frequently with a heatproof spatula and keeping an eye on the pan so nothing overheats or burns. When the mixture is smooth, remove from the heat and cool for a minute or two.
Stir the vanilla, egg and the zest, if you're using it, into the chocolate mixture. When the mixture is well blended, add the flour and stir only until it is incorporated. You should have a smooth, glossy batter.
Spoon the batter into 16 of the muffin cups, using about a teaspoon of batter to fill each cup three-quarters full. Put 1 teaspoon of water in each empty cup.
Bake for 14 to 16 minutes, or until the tops of the buttons spring back when touched. Transfer the pans to racks to cool for 3 minutes before carefully releasing the buttons. Cool to room temperature on the racks.

TO MAKE THE OPTIONAL GLAZE :
Melt the chocolate in a small heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water. Stir constantly and don't leave the chocolate for even a minute - white chocolate scorches easily. As soon as the chocolate is smooth, remove from the heat.
One by one, dip the tops of the buttons into the chocolate, twirling the buttons so that you get a little swirl at the center of each one and the excess chocolate drips back into the bowl. Refrigerate the buttons for 15 minutes to set the glaze.

kitchen flavours notes :
Watch out for the baking time, mine was done in about 10 minutes.




22 comments:

  1. Those brownie buttons looks super cute and quite addictive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lindos, lindos, lindos....adorei, fiquei de água na boca!!
    Beijinhos

    ReplyDelete
  3. These brown button with white topping looks delicious


    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  4. your baking bug is itching? why la so hardworking? you ought to rest..nevertheless me and zoe are glad now that you're back home. These brownies look kind of adorable to me, if we were baking the same recipe, i thought you might like to skip the white choc frosting..hehe..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya-lah, the baking bug has been "bugging" me! It stopped when I made the brownie! hehehe! Wanted to skip the white choc, but need to clear my pantry! Thanks Lena to both you and Zoe!

      Delete
  5. These are the prettiest and I'm sure teh tastiest I've ever seen.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute button brownies. I love mini desserts like this. Can eat a lot and still don't feel guilty! hehe

    ReplyDelete
  7. What cute, cute brownie buttons!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Asi de bocadito quedan estupendos.
    Un saludito

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want them all! They look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Delicious sweets my dear friend!!!!
    I send you my love and my greetings!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a delicious treat!Congratulations on your yummy blog,dear!I am a new follower!I invite you to my blog so that you get a taste of greek cuisine!
    Greetings from Greece!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your buttons are adorable. I love little treats like these.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Joy, The winner of, Is Your Batter Better? Fish & Chip Challenge is live on my blog...stop by to see who's recipe won! http://athomewithrebecka.blogspot.com/2012/01/winner-is-your-batter-better-fish-and.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yup, all's well now. That's good. Sempat jugak buat ni eh..lol..cute and cantik!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lucen muy hermosos y exquisitos un rico bocado,abrazos hugs,hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this brownie button recipe, it's my favourite for potluck or children's parties! :)
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very happy to have you in our bake-along. I know that I sounded mushy saying this...our bake-along is never the same without you :p

    Your brownie button is fantastic. It takes you just 20 min to transfer the ingredients to these delicious brownies...you are a wonder woman!

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are just delightful!
    Glad everything has worked out for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've never been know to pass up a brownie. Yours look so delectable, Joyce.

    Thank you so much for sharing...I must check out ALL the others, lol...

    ReplyDelete
  20. These are so cute- I love bite sized treats. :)

    ReplyDelete